Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Wine Spectator Busted

I have not subscribed to Wine Spectator in years and don't read the magazine or pay attention to the scores.  My reasons are three fold: 1. Matt Kramer's editorials ticked me off one too many times; 2. I think the scores are dumb and the descriptions are useless.  In fact I have a theory that they use a bingo ball with 10 words and randomly pull out the same words to create each description.  If you cover the names of the wines in a section, the reviews are nearly the same with the words changing their order; 3. I have met winemakers who stopped advertising in WS and suddenly their wines got poor reviews.  I notice bigger ads seem to get bigger points too.

So it's no surprise to me that someone named Robin Goldstein recently did a little investigation on the Wine Spectators's restaurant awards.  I should note that I have received the award of excellence when I worked at the Sienna and always wondered how did WS know if my wine list was real?  Well, Robin did just that. He paid the fee ($250) submitted a fake wine list and fake menu for a fake restaurant and received the award of excellence.  Making it even better is that many of the wines on the list he chose were intentionally poor wines reviewed by WS in previous issues with scores like 72 pts, 64 pts and 62 pts for example.  

You can read his story at WS Award of Excellence.  -Salamanzar

6 comments:

Melanie Busbee said...

wow. Tis not a good review for Wine Spectator.

Jeni said...

Indeed. How embarrassing for them! I'm wondering if the two buck chuck was in their intentionally poor list haha.

LMGotts said...

Ouch.

While I like these posts (a lot!), I'd love to see more "I love Bacon" type posts as well. More upbeat stuff makes me........more upbeat. :)

Grand Poobah Wine Swami and staff said...

will do LG!

oakleyses said...

louis vuitton uk, air max pas cher, timberland, polo lacoste, hogan outlet, air max, longchamp, polo ralph lauren, michael kors, hollister, north face, barbour, air jordan, sac louis vuitton, true religion outlet, nike free, lululemon outlet online, nike blazer, nike roshe run, nike tn, nike free pas cher, louboutin, air force, michael kors, sac louis vuitton, vanessa bruno, ray ban sunglasses, ralph lauren, nike roshe, hollister, true religion outlet, converse pas cher, sac burberry, north face, longchamp, sac hermes, mulberry, oakley pas cher, hollister, new balance pas cher, air max, sac guess, nike huarache, vans pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, sac longchamp, ray ban pas cher, louis vuitton, nike trainers, michael kors pas cher, nike air max

oakleyses said...

nike roshe run, birkin bag, ugg, reebok outlet, uggs, lululemon outlet, canada goose, new balance shoes, p90x, ugg australia, mcm handbags, canada goose outlet, herve leger, ugg boots clearance, chi flat iron, jimmy choo outlet, canada goose jackets, marc jacobs, soccer shoes, instyler, ferragamo shoes, abercrombie and fitch, mac cosmetics, soccer jerseys, valentino shoes, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, north face jackets, rolex watches, mont blanc, ghd, ugg boots, wedding dresses, insanity workout, asics running shoes, vans shoes, north face outlet, uggs outlet, babyliss pro, nfl jerseys, beats by dre, celine handbags, canada goose, ugg pas cher, ugg boots